Sunday, May 20, 2007

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling...from glen to glen, and down the mountain side

I figured a good sad Irish song was appropriate today.

We held Grandma's visitation today from 3-5 o'clock. It was good, but sad at the same time. There was a pretty good crowd, never really a line, but a pretty good flow of people. There were a few minutes of down time here and there, but that's not a bad thing.

It was hard seeing Grandma though. I was trying to be strong, but I couldn't. I miss her so much.

I just finished writing her eulogy. It was hard, I lost count of how many times I wrote and then re-wrote it. I just couldn't seem to get it right. It seemed like I was never quite capturing the woman Grandma was.

I figure'd I'd post it, I don't know why, but I've talked so much about her on here that I figured "why not?"

So this is your warning....from here down is my eulogy that I'm reading tomorrow morning, nothing more, so if you're hoping something funny will pop up at the end - just stop reading.

---------

Grandma's Eulogy 5/21/07

"Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve taken some time to sit down and think about Grandma’s life. While I was thinking back and remembering all the good times, I’ve seen what a tremendous impact Grandma has made on my life.

All you had to do was meet Grandma once. Just once, and you thought the world of her. She was a strong woman, with a loving heart and gentle spirit. She always knew the right words to put a smile on your face and joy in your heart. She loved to make people happy, and the people she loved the most were her family.

When I was growing up, I was like most children. Grandma was the woman who gave big hugs and made good food. The older I got, the more important Grandma became and the bigger impact she had. It wasn’t that she had changed, but my perspective of her had. Grandma taught me about love through her words, but mainly by her actions.

I know that no one in my family will ever doubt the amount of love that Grandma had for us. She supported every one of us, no matter what. She was always our biggest cheerleader and our biggest support team. When we’d do well, she was the first to congratulate us. When we’d fail, she’d be the first to offer kind words and a helping hand to dust ourselves off.

She couldn’t always be there physically, with seven grandchildren in all parts of the world, but you always knew she was there for you. We were in her thoughts and in her prayers.

Grandma was a very religious woman and you always knew if Grandma was praying for you, you were going to be just fine. I always knew that Grandma was going to be there, without judgment and sweet smile to comfort me…no matter how difficult life became.

Grandma showed me love, a kind of love that is never-ending and never fading, and that gives me comfort. I am a better person today, because of the things Grandma taught me and the love she shared with me and for that I will be eternally grateful.

There’s a verse that Grandma said she wanted as part of her funeral, and I’d like to read it to you now.

“A light is from our household gone; a voice we loved is stilled. A place is vacant in our home that never can be filled. The Golden Gates did open, a gentle voice said “come,” and with farewell unspoken, we said “Thy will be done.” May the Blessed Virgin greet her, and present her to her son; May his Sacred Heart receive her, as it was God’s will was done.”

Grandma was a strong Irish woman, and I think it would be appropriate for me to end with an Irish blessing. This is one that has been hanging in the hallway of Grandma and Papa’s house for as long as I can remember.

“May the road rise to meet you...may the wind be always at your back…may the sun shine warm upon your face and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, Grandma, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.”


---------

"...and if you come, when all the flowers are dying and I am dead, as dead I well may be. You'll come and find the place where I am lying, and kneel and say an "Ave" there for me..."

No comments: